I hope your last thought gets to be, "Holy Crap, That's Awesome."

12/4/08

temped

I am currently working as a Temp in LA...

Today is my first job assignment and I am really enjoying moments of it- but mostly it is terrible small talk, an uncomfortable chair and lots of stapling.

stapler Pictures, Images and Photos

Once my employer of the day realized I'm not an idiot- they let me just do what I want. I finished all the work before lunch and now have been surfing the web for the past four hours of my eight hour day...

kind of like being jobless- only I get paid $12 bucks and hour to do it. (Pay scale is job dependent and this being my first I start low- but they say you make around 15 - 17/hr on most jobs... I got the bottom of the bucket job because I'm new.)

I got to talk to a sweet old lady on the phone.... EIGHT TIMES.

I organized an annual board meeting (why then needed a temp today) and she is one of the board members.

She told me many things about herself. She likes to read. She is impatient. She had a cold or flu last week- she's not sure. Fever, chills and aches, which does that make it? (Old age?) She went swimming this morning, it was very relaxing. She wants to know who else is going to be there. She is on her way to get her hair done, after swimming she either needs a hat or a hair do and she doesn't have any nice hats for the occasion. She is going to order food for herself at the meeting. She called me a peach. (I love that endearment)


Temp work is better than no work. $12/hr is better than no $$ and hour. An uncomfortable chair is better than no chair.


I've got nothing to say about the stapling, though... it's a boring job and I could never staple something again and be happy. (And then when I'm on my deathbed I'll get to say something like, 'The stapler...')

3 comments:

the V said...

temping is like that. be glad you aren't a catering temp like i was in college. liam is currently taking notes at city council meetings on a temp contract. the world of limbo jobness is crazy, and I hope you are getting plenty of long, empty afternoons with paychecks!

love love love you.

Angela said...

I used to dig temping. I was in a new place every week, so nothing ever really got stale.

the V said...

i miss you. the move was fine, but there is something hollow about a house with no personality (yet) and it makes me feel the other gaping holes in my life more keenly.